Monday, November 28, 2005

War Stories

One of the best parts of Thanksgiving dinner was hearing my grandfather (Pop Pop to me, Marvin Atchison to most) tell stories about his experiences during World War II. This video records his story about how he won the Silver Star fighting on the island of Saipan. (Click here to see the full video (4 min 35 sec) on Google Video.) On a more lighthearted note, in this next video Pop Pop tells the story of how he met my grandmother (Mom Mom, aka Janelda Atchison). (Click here to see the full video (5 min 4 sec) on Google Video.) Some other time I'll have to convince Pop Pop to tell the story about being shot through the neck on his 21st birthday and winning the Purple Heart. ------- update --------- Here are the full videos Silver Star Pop Pop Meets Mom Mom

1 comment:

Angelo Villagomez said...

I had a hard time understanding your Dad...do you have a transcript of his story? I'd love to hear it and possibly share it with a few people on Saipan.

Are there any more specifics? Do you know precisely where he was on the island and the names of the other two marines?

One of my grandfathers was a Marine on Tinian, the island 6 miles south of Saipan, during WWII. My other grandfather was an indigenous rice farmer and fisherman on Saipan during the war. Learning everything I can about the islands is a little hobby of mine.

I found the video and your blog by doing a google video search for Saipan.