Saturday, April 01, 2006

Sonogram

On Friday we went in for a sonogram and we had a little surprise. The nurse told us that based on the sonogram, Elaine was not 20 weeks pregnant, but almost 22 weeks pregnant. So, we've revised the baby countdown to reflect our baby's new August 6th due date. Having heard a few too many stories about how large my dad was when he was born (over 11 lbs), Elaine wasn't completely convinced of the new due date. Her fear, which the nurse didn't dismiss, is that she's still only 20 weeks pregnant with what is going to be a gigantic baby.

Whatever size the baby ends up being, we still don't know the sex. As I've mentioned before, we're planning on being surprised, but I did my best to try to figure it out during the sonogram. On of my co-workers at EPA and his wife are expecting a baby about the same time as Elaine and I, and he brought in the pictures from their sonogram earlier in the week. They're having a girl, and he pointed out exactly what to look for, so I wasn't going in completely blind. My inexpert opinion is that it looked like a boy (and I hope I'm right, because I don't want to have to tell our daughter what I thought I saw). I don't think you can actually tell the sex from the pictures they printed out for us, but if you feel like hazarding a guess, feel free to post it in the comments.

The sonogram went well, everything looked healthy to the doctors, even if it looked like something painted by Edvard Munch to us. They printed out a few still pictures from the sonogram, the middle to pictures are actually pretty nice profiles of the baby. The top picture is a bit more abstract, but you can make out the head and body. Of the bottom picture, Jeff put it best saying that it looks like our baby is a member of The Misfits.


No comments: