Sunday, January 14, 2007

Independece Day

Today I was just confronted with the first of what I expect to be a long line of events where Owen asserts is independence, and lets me know that he doesn't need me, he can do things himself, thank you very much.


Elaine is off at a wedding shower, so Owen and I are having a nice little father and son day, which I've been looking forward to (even after he had horrible nights sleep and a minuscule nap this morning, leaving daddy rather exhausted). The difficulties began when I tried to give him a bottle shortly after mommy left. I knew he must be hungry, but he was having none of it, screaming and turning his head away when ever I tried to convince him to eat. So, I decided to let him have it his way, and we put the bottle aside and went for a walk. When we returned he was starting to get really fussy, and I knew he really must hungry. We tried the bottle again, and again he refused it, hitting the bottle and turning his head away. Frustrated and about to give up yet again, I let go of the bottle, and to my amazement, Owen picked it up and started feeding himself. Fortunately, the camera was within reach, so managed to capture Owen's accomplishment. He ate for 18 minutes, fell asleep clutching the bottle, and I moved him over to the swing. Now, he might just let Daddy have a little nap.

(editor's note - Owen woke up before daddy got his nap in, but not before he but a little video clip of Owen and his bottle online here.)

No comments: