Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Closer to Fine


Despite living less than 2 miles from a host of gratis cultural centers (i.e. The Smithsonian, the Library of Congress, the Capitol, the Shakespeare Library, etc) we'd never actually exposed Owen to the finer things in life. Instead, we've opted for the less finer things, like taking Owen to baseball games. And bars.

But this weekend, my very good friend Audra was in town for business. In addition to economics, Audra was an art major at NU and so we decided her visit would be the perfect opportunity take Owen to the National Gallery. Owen enjoyed the museum immensely, but was far more interested in the lights above the various installations than the art itself. Moreover, he expressed his delight in their luminosity as well as his appreciation of the gallery's acoustics by shouting what the untrained ear might consider gibberish. To be honest, it's pretty much gibberish to the trained ear as well, but enthusiastic gibberish nonetheless. Owen and I excused ourselves and headed to the cafeteria, much to the relief of the other patrons, where he admired I.M. Pei's pyramid waterfall, and ate crackers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a fabulous time with the Fawcett-Zimmerman clan!! They are fantastic hosts, and Allen is a terrific tour guide. I sounded really smart three days later when I could point out all the "sights to be seen" on the Capitol Mall to my co-worker. I highly recommend a visit to them! Thanks again for a fabulous time!!