Monday, October 08, 2018

#SR15

IPCC SR1.5

Earlier this year, State Department convinced me to sign on as an expert reviewer for the IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5C, and after two rounds of reviewing hundreds of pages, they included me on the delegation going to Incheon, South Korea for the 48th IPCC meeting, and the approval session for the Summary for Policy Makers of the Special Report. The first three days of the meeting were relatively normal, then Thursday things really ramped up, and we went 20 hours straight, took a four hour break, then came back for another 38 straight hours of negotiations during which Typhoon Kong Rey blew through and delayed my flight home for a day. There were lots of fascinating stories from inside the negotiations, but probably best to just ask me about them instead of recounting them on the blog. Suffice to say, I mostly ate little seaweed rice and spam sandwiches from the connivence store, and I didn't see much of Korea beyond the hotel and the convention center, but we got the job done :-)

IPCC SR1.5

No comments: