Sunday, November 15, 2009

Oh, What a Night

Despite living a mile from the action, we spent the Fourth of July at home watching the Capitol concert on TV because I was eight months pregnant and Owen is a bit freaked out by fireworks. At some point during the concert, the cast of "Jersey Boys" started singing and I turned to Allen and made some comment -- the nature of which is a source of debate. I maintain that I conveyed that we could skip that show when it was in town. Allen states that I actually insisted we should go and while he was surprised by my new found love of the falsetto, since I regularly sang "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" to Owen when he was an infant, it wasn't completely ridiculous that I would want to see the Frankie Valli story live and in person. So Allen very lovingly purchased tickets to the musical as a "thank you for carrying my child for nine months" present to a less than enthusiastic me, and convinced Mom Mom to babysit.

When Mom Mom signed up to babysit two kids under the age of four, she didn't realize that she would be just getting back from a business trip to Austin that afternoon and that Grandpa Don would be in Florida that weekend, leaving her outnumbered and weary when she arrived at our place. We have to hand it to her though, she really rose to the challenge. While Owen was pretty self sufficient (he wouldn't let Mom Mom go upstairs with him at bedtime and actually gave her a kiss through his closed gate before putting himself to bed), Nora refused to go to sleep and so Mom Mom was "on" for pretty much the entire 4 1/2 hours we were gone. Fortunately, Nora spent most of the time smiling and cooing at her grandmother, which made the evening easier to bear.

As for us, we learned that "Jersey speak" involves a lot of swearing, that Frankie Valli has a lot of fans over 50, and that maybe I shouldn't be so catty around my husband.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I guess Allen comes by his love of rock and roll honestly. Claudine and also went to see the Jersey boys and both agreed it was the best musical we had ever seen and yes the audience was mostly all "well" over 50.

It must be in the genes.

John