Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Elephant March II (Electric Boogaloo)

Let me begin by admitting that I am not a circus fan. I've always found clowns kind of creepy, "Geek Love" ruined freak shows for me, and while I'm aware that Disney films are rife with inaccuracies (as if any primates existed when dinosaurs did), Dumbo and Pinochio made fairly convincing anti-circus life arguments.

However, every spring, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Baily Circus descends upon the Capitol, and in order to tranfer their pachyderms to the Verizon Center, the elephants are marched right in front of the Department of Labor. Last year, Nora and I missed the excitment (though Allen and Owen went). This year the proximity, a beautiful spring day, a light work load, and the parade conveniently taking place just after Nora's nap, all motivated Nora and I to join the many elephant gawkers.

Nora wasn't terribly into it, but the march did provide us with an excuse to play hookey for the rest of the afternoon and get some extra playground time in that she loved.

(click here for the pictures)

No comments: