Wednesday, March 14, 2018

We had one foot on the stage

Austin 2018

A little while ago Channing posted a note saying the Grand Champeen was going to play a little reunion show on the Tuesday of SXSW, and they convinced Lil' Cap'n Travis and Prescott Curlywolf to also get back together and join them on the bill. I was feeling all wistful and sad that I'd miss the show, when it occurred to me that I might just have some unused frequent flyer miles lying around, and maybe instead of being sad I was going to miss the show, I should just go to the show! After a quick chat with Elaine, a check of my work calendar, and a few texts with Brandon, I had a free plane ticket in hand ready to go down to Austin!

I flew in on Monday night, and Brandon and I tried to catch a Superchunk show, but the line didn't look promising for anyone without SXSW badges or wristbands, and they were playing at Waterloo Records the next afternoon, so we skipped the show and headed to a bar in Brandon's neighborhood to catch up and marvel at how much Austin has changed. After some delicious breakfast tacos in the morning, and some playground time with Asa and Olive, Brandon and I did indeed catch the Superchunk in-store at Waterloo (they were great of course!), then went back to the house to meet up with Anneke before the show.

The whole evening at Hole in the Wall was brilliant. So many old friends showed up, the music rocked, and it really did feel like we were all back in our 20's. Can't wait to make it back to Austin and see everyone again, next time with the whole family!

Austin 2018

(click here for all the pictures)

No comments: