For the bulk of America's longest shutdown I was home. I cleaned, sorted, scanned pictures, donated books and other items, attempted to volunteer (apparently a number of other displaced feds beat me to it), met friends for drinks or a meal, read, took long walks, and did yoga (none of which made for interesting pictures or blog posts). Five weeks in, my friend Karen mentioned she was headed to her beach house at Cape May and asked if I wanted to join. I was hesitant, as their appeared to be movement in the Senate on November 7th to reopen the government and extend ACA subsidies for a year, but then the Senate majority made it clear Saturday night that they didn't actually want to do that. Given there wasn't an agreement and Tuesday was a holiday, surely I could enjoy four days at the Jersey Shore.
So, we headed out on Sunday morning and were well into Deleware when we learned there was another deal brewing. By Monday, the Senate had approved a CR. While the House, who'd been out of session since they passed their original CR back in September, still had to return to vote, it was looking like the government was going to be open by Thursday, and since I had a a school thing Wednesday night and since Karen's appointment that she thought was Tuesday was actually Wednesday, I bought a train ticket back to DC on Tuesday.
Karen and I still got in some lovely sight-seeing and meals (as well as some Jane Austen courtesy of PBS), but it was a shorter trip than intended, and since I didn't go back the intended route, I wasn't able to stop at the Delaware House to replace one lost duck in a backpack per Noa. Still, I made it home safely Tuesday night in order to have one day to recover and attend College Preview night for Burke Juniors while the House voted on the CR. I then promptly arrived at work on Thursday, November 13th to a backlog of work without adjusted timelines. Fun times!
(To see my pics from Cape May, click here.)

No comments:
Post a Comment